Friday, January 22, 2016

Watercolor Valentine Cookies


We're right in the middle of a winter snow storm and all I can think of is Valentine's Day!

I pray everyone stays safe and warm.

In case you need a little help with that, I hope these cookies will at least keep your heart warm!

I am so excited to share these painted cookies with you today. 

I have been wanting to try my hand at watercolor painting on cookies, so I did a little internet search for watercolor painting on fondant and I found this great tutorial..not to mention the beautiful cake Allison made! Thanks Allison!

I am so ready, let's get started!
Start with your favorite cut-out sugar cookie recipe.

I used this one.

Tools and items you will need:

Baked and cooled cookies
cookie cutters
food colors (powdered and petal dust)
lemon extract
fondant
fondant roller
parchment paper (for baking cookies and rolling out fondant)
paintbrushes
paper towels
candy markers
dish to mix paint in

I used 1" and 2" cutters for my cookies. You will use the same cutters for the fondant.
Bake 'em up!
Roll out fondant and let dry a bit.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some powdered food color for my paint project. I wanted a pale pink but the cherry pink in the kit just wasn't. So instead I used the pink petal dust I already had on hand.

I also used the Christmas red and orange from this set I ordered.

For the paint mixture, just combine the powdered color with equal parts lemon extract. I used a food dedicated paint brush to stir the mixture till powder dissolved completely.
I found what worked best for me was to scrunch up a paper towel and dampen the end. I then dipped it into my color and....
..started painting. Soooo fun!
 I added some orange and a little red to my fondant canvas. Let dry.
 Once the paint has dried-drying time will be determined by how much extract you use-cut out the heart shapes.

If you would like to write on your hearts, there are plenty of edible markers out there. 

My favorite right now are these candy markers.
The longer tip makes them easier for writing.
Using a food safe paintbrush, just dampen the back of the fondant piece with water and attach to cookie.
Oh we feel pretty, oh so pretty..la la la..
 forever sweet true love..
Love. A piece of heart work.
Thanks so much for stopping by. 

Comments keep my life sweet.

May each of your days be sweeter than the day before. 

Thanks, Karen
Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

  1. These cookies are so pretty and you handwriting is beautiful. I'd need to you to write on mine, if I made them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! I don't know what it is, but when it comes to piping or wtiting on sugar, I get all shaky. I just got lucky on these! :-)

      Delete
  2. oh they're pretty! oh so pretty! yes they're pretty and charming and...AWESOME Karen! and they look like so fun to do! i'm gonna have to make these! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Lisa! These were so much fun to make..you will love it! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love painting on cookies, what fun to try new mediums, right? The painted hearts turned out sooo pretty and I agree with Beth, your handwriting is beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! Yes, so much fun that I am going to have the grandkids try it with me! :-)

      Delete
  4. Like your creative work.Beautiful cookies are perfect to show your feelings for your loved one on this valentine's day.

    Thanks
    Cookie Gifts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy Valentine's Day to you! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Happy Valentine's Day to you! :-)

      Delete